• January 27, 2023, 11:32:24 pm

Author Topic: Web Design: Video Player  (Read 2640 times)

Warden

• BNTA Admin
    • Battle.net Terrorist Alliance
Web Design: Video Player
« on: October 05, 2010, 03:18:01 pm »
I haven't really done much work with Video Players on the web I have some experience doing Audio Players though. If anyone has an old script or code lying around and, would post it. I would greatly appreciate it.

Jusτị¢e

• Graphics Staff
Re: Web Design: Video Player
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15:55 pm »
Make one on Flash

Warden

• BNTA Admin
    • Battle.net Terrorist Alliance
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
Make one on Flash

Don't really want a flash player ~.~

Scope

• Founder
  • Main Administrator
    • BnetWeb
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:05 am »
The only decent video player is flash. The other ones are shitty WMPlayer or RealPlayer object embed codes, which don't stream, they have to download.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:39 am »
Use Silverlight. Works on Windows, OSX, and Linux. Supports the popular video formats, including hardware H264 decoding, includes 64 bit support, and runs circles around flash in full screen video performance. Not to mention using IIS7 you get adaptive bitrate technology for streaming 1080p h264 videos.

Everything else pales in comparison.
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

Scope

• Founder
  • Main Administrator
    • BnetWeb
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:11:02 pm »
IIS7 still can't compare to linux distros in the web development community. But yea, I've seen several silverlight apps dominating the video market, especially with the new NFL video players, etc. Also talks of Netflix moving to Silverlight players.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:34:11 pm »
HTML5 doesn't have anything built in for sound?

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:11 am »
IIS7 still can't compare to linux distros in the web development community. But yea, I've seen several silverlight apps dominating the video market, especially with the new NFL video players, etc. Also talks of Netflix moving to Silverlight players.

Talks? Netflix jumped on the Silverlight bandwagon a long time ago. Their instant streaming of high definition video wouldn't be possible otherwise. IIS7 is actually really competitive in the web development community, because ASP.NET is a phenomenal hit in a lot of start ups.

Re: HTML5: The problem with HTML5 video and audio implementation, is that they're terribly primitive. You get only the most basic of functionality, you don't get the ability to play back DRMd video (Which is why you won't see someone like Hulu switching to HTML5 anytime soon, as it's possible to steal the raw video feed .. since it's right there in markup), and it's not really faster than Silverlight, not even the hardware accelerated IE9 video playback.

I see HTML5 video as an ideal solution for video clips, or things people would normally embed custom uploaded youtube videos for, but I don't see it as the end-all-be-all of video solutions as some claim it is. Hell, the W3C came out the other day saying that HTML5 is too unpolished and unready for general consumption. Yet some people scream their heads off for everyone to drop what they're doing, drop years and hundreds of thousands of lines of code, and "just switch to HTML5"
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

newBalance by DzinerStudio