• September 28, 2022, 06:46:38 pm

Author Topic: American Flag  (Read 1656 times)

Gloss

American Flag
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/video/austinkvue-tv-15750583/homeless-man-rescues-american-flag-during-storm-20738426

Crux

Re: American Flag
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:58:50 pm »
Wow, very patriotic. You'd really never expect this from a homeless man.
If you don't acknowledge your failures, you'll never fail. -Tobuscus

Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »
bet you that's all he's gonna get from doing this.
"Oh thank you, you saved the flag, and now that we know you live behind our warehouse, get lost"

Frosty (aka Encrypt)

• Addict
  • R.I.P. Battle.bnet home of the wannabe hackers.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:12:45 pm »
Wow that is truly amazing..!
God Bless America

Crisis

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »
Yeah, he's not getting jack shit for doing that.

Crux

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:42:03 pm »
Yeah, he's not getting jack shit for doing that.

Nope, except a news interview. Hope that guy gets a better place to live.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 09:31:24 pm »
The fact that we even have homeless in the United States is incredible.
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

Crux

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:37:49 pm »
The fact that we even have homeless in the United States is incredible.

Why is it so incredible that we have homeless people in our country.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:40:07 pm »
Because we have the capacity to shelter them, provide them an income, get them a job, and have them contributing to the output of the economy as a whole. This economy is vastly underutilized.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

Daniele

• Thee Linux Penguin
  • J├Ągermeister
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:53:43 pm »
pffft America sucks Russia way better..... jk but id give him a place to live at least.
<--- First ever Member of the month ;)

K i n g o f K i n g s

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:43 pm »
Because we have the capacity to shelter them, provide them an income, get them a job, and have them contributing to the output of the economy as a whole. This economy is vastly underutilized.

Americas GDP is $46,400 (2009)
If we ration it, it is entirely possible
100%         110%            125%   150%              175%     185%        200%
$10,830     $11,913      $13,538     $16,245      $18,953      $20,036      $21,660
however what are the chances we would get everyone above poverty are slim.
(sources ciafactbook and http://liheap.ncat.org/profiles/povertytables/FY2010/popstate.htm)
it is possible to feed and clothe and shelter them.

In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable. How come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
The Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it.
Going from Windows to Linux is like trading a glider for an F117.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:03:42 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean. Our GDP is 14.59 Trillion dollars. Edit: I see you mean GDP per capita, but that's a useless statistic since all spending is done by Government in the aggregate. What's more interesting is the upward impact that multiplier effects create on GDP.

Every dollar we put into sheltering the homeless creates jobs in construction, which creates jobs at Home Depot, which creates jobs elsewhere since that profit is turned into disposable income and so on and so forth.

Then every dollar we give them to spend is in turn saved/spent, investment in various forms, raising capital for banking institutions increasing liquidity to the system as a whole, and every dollar spent is translated into increased aggregate demand across a host of commercial sectors which in turn requires more supply, which means more jobs, and more jobs means more disposable income, which means more spending, which means more jobs, and so on and so forth.

This is known as the multiplier effect.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:05:47 pm by warrior »

Yegg

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 10:05:15 pm »
Some people CHOOSE to be homeless because they prefer it, for whatever reason. There's a guy who lives in the woods near my house. He has a dog, several wooden shelters he built, 4 bikes, lots of clothing, and he always rides his bike through town to the nearest store to buy food, etc. I'm not sure where his money comes from, but he has it made down there in the woods. He's been there for years and it appears to be what he'd rather have over a typical home.
I've also heard of a report of a millionaire who was homeless. I think they won the lottery or something but they preferred living as a homeless person. They kept the money though.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:13 pm »
Strictly from an economic standpoint, them not paying rent, or a mortgage, or property taxes, is a direct impediment on the potential growth rate of the economy. However, some variables like the one you mention, are out of the control of the Government.

Frosty (aka Encrypt)

• Addict
  • R.I.P. Battle.bnet home of the wannabe hackers.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »
Ok so we have the money to do it. But why would people give all their money to other people who MOST of the time bum off of people. MOST the time, people who are homeless are alcoholics or druggies.

Take your pick.

K i n g o f K i n g s

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 10:34:54 pm »
Ok so we have the money to do it. But why would people give all their money to other people who MOST of the time bum off of people. MOST the time, people who are homeless are alcoholics or druggies.

Take your pick.
Do you know this for a fact? I think not. Only some are, not most.

In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable. How come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
The Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it.
Going from Windows to Linux is like trading a glider for an F117.

Yegg

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »

Take your pick.
A lot of people wouldn't give their money to worthy causes either when they have a ton of money, let alone unworthy (in their own view) causes.

newBalance by DzinerStudio