• April 07, 2020, 02:01:53 AM

Author Topic: Superiority.NET Beta 6!  (Read 10406 times)

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
Re: Superiority.NET Beta 6!
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »
Since I'm IP Banned from Battle.net for the time being, I implemented IRC support in like five minutes. Gotta refine it, but it works.
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

Myst

• BotMaster
  • Clan Null - Op 0x00
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:56 AM »
Since I'm IP Banned from Battle.net for the time being, I implemented IRC support in like five minutes. Gotta refine it, but it works.

test it via multiple ircd's; i.e servers using unreal,  hybrid-7.2.3+plexus-3.0.1, ircd-seven-1.1.3.  I've notice people who've tried implementating IRC protocal in their chat prog using the RFC available online, usually have problems with their implementation on the various irc servers out there.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
I finally got sane parsing code implemented, given there's no helper methods line ReadLine( .. ) so I had to roll my own, account for string fragments, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of pit falls I should be looking for? If I follow the RFC to the letter, and servers don't work, then it must be a bug in the server? Not sure how I'd feel about working around someone elses implementation detail

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

Myst

• BotMaster
  • Clan Null - Op 0x00
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
I finally got sane parsing code implemented, given there's no helper methods line ReadLine( .. ) so I had to roll my own, account for string fragments, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of pit falls I should be looking for? If I follow the RFC to the letter, and servers don't work, then it must be a bug in the server? Not sure how I'd feel about working around someone elses implementation detail

The RFC posted online (RFC 1459) apparently is old documentation, there are newer RFC's out.  (http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/index.html) , it should be fairly similar, but someone else I was talking too that was implementing IRC support using RFC 1459, had issues with different server software not acting the same way.  Best off to just test on the popular servers out there like, freenode, rizon, synirc (all 3 of those use different ircd's); just to make sure.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
Ah, I was using the newer one already. Thanks though.

I did some slight UI work, and I'm pretty happy with the IRC code so far. The protocol is extremely simple for basic scenarios. I added support for variable sized Account tiles, to relay importance, though I haven't quite thought about how I want to make use of it.

Also, the name Superiority is a little old, and given that I'll be supporting IRC among other protocols, I figured a name change was necessary.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
Not really fond of having the Accounts construct be so front and center, that's something that should really be transparent to the user. I'm thinking of instead exposing an overview of "Channels" since it more accurately explains what you'd drill down to . Plus it'd go well with the IRC abstraction where one IRC account can be connected to multiple channels.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
I implemented the idea I had above and I'm quite liking it.

You'll notice the Group Headers are now the name of the Account.

The Group Items are now various "shortcuts" into the actions of the Account. For Bnet it'd be something like "Current Channel" , "Unread Whispers" , "Pending Clan Invites" where clicking on those tiles would take you right into that part of the UI. Pretty nifty.

I'm happy for now with the idea, I'll implement it for IRC tomorrow and see if I still like it.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »
Spent a good deal of today reading up on WinRT APIs, the documentation is still very sparse, reminds me of the early WPF days when I had to figure everything out myself. Fun.

I really have no idea how Background Tasks work yet for Networked Sockets, so for the moment, that's out. It's very high on my todo list, although there seems to be a bug with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview with regards to the permissions elevation. I've reached out to MSFT for comment.

IRC support is coming out pretty well though, but I had to flesh out some more plumbing (well port it over from Superiority Desktop in a way that made sense). So far the trend continues, a lot of what is done in WinRT makes a lot more sense and is more fleshed out than the Silverlight / Wpf way. I've only run into a few things I really didn't like.

As for performance: It comes in at about 16MB (compared to the 37MB of Superiority Desktop) so there's obvious optimizations, though you can only go so far since it's written in .NET. Impressive.

Hopefully tomorrow I get around to landing some more UI work..I have a few ideas in mind, so I'll have some more eye candy then.

Scope

• Founder
  • Main Administrator
    • BnetWeb
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2012, 12:19:11 AM »
I also have the Win8 Consumer preview and will be willing to use/report about the bot.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

FiRe!

• Clan ZeR0
  • Semi-Newbie
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 11:51:08 PM »
Wow i'm liking the design guys. It has that Windows feeling to it. Keep up the good work!
Clan ZeR0 @USEast
Clan KusH @USEast

Aka DaRk]ZeR0[, Leak@USEast, DjZZeRo@USEast/West

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Just wanted to update on this: Waiting on a show stopper bug in the actual framework. The joys of pre production releases.

Tagban

• Aces Charles.. Aces.
  • Administrator
  • Addict
  • BNET.cc // Clan BNU@USEast
    • BNET.cc
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »
Sorry its been so long, I started getting 60+ hr weeks at work, so when I've been getting home, just totally zoning out.

I will be more active now though, this is coming into the slow time of year, so I might get cut down to 32 hrs a week, which will be awesome for my social life. :)

BNET.cc .. Mothers.. Lock up your daughters!

newBalance by DzinerStudio