• April 07, 2020, 03:56:28 AM

Author Topic: Superiority.NET Beta 6!  (Read 10408 times)

Tagban

• Aces Charles.. Aces.
  • Administrator
  • Addict
  • BNET.cc // Clan BNU@USEast
    • BNET.cc
Superiority.NET Beta 6!
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:39 AM »
I'm changing a few things within the bot, so don't expect the exact same experience. Warrior passed the project onto me, and I plan to keep working on it, but I'm just learning C#, and XAML so it won't be fast!

The bot now resides on my site, which is building itself back up slowly. For now though you can download the bot here:
http://www.bnet.cc/superiority/
 It is still, and always will be Open Source. Google Code site changed though:
http://code.google.com/p/superioritybot/

A couple screenshots highlight my first focus based on end-user feedback:

- Current Release: Beta 6

The Download link on BNETWeb for some reason doesn't work for external site.. No idea why.

I am always looking for suggestions/ways to improve. Understand, I haven't touched the Profiles/Setup pages at all yet, I was focusing on the user interface for the main chat page first. Some actual 'in depth' coding is still not up my alley, however suggestions on how to handle the userlist, did you like the darker images with white text? Or prefer me to lighten up the images in the LAST screenshot? I may even use completely different images, I just took faces from each gamebox for each game client and did that for now.

The next few things I really plan to work on:
- Changing up the account creation page, getting different images (since right now thats largely broken)
- Getting moderator icons to work
-- Considering even a background change for moderators, since the bot is fluid in nature, I can adjust the background and change it on the fly.
-- Adjusting Moderators so that they go to the top of the list
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:03:29 PM by Tagban »
BNET.cc .. Mothers.. Lock up your daughters!

Tagban

• Aces Charles.. Aces.
  • Administrator
  • Addict
    • BNET.cc
Re: Superiority.NET Beta 6!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
When I had tested this build I wasn't in a busy channel, and realized it was cutting off the bottom 1/16" of text... Fixed and updated, Also placed a "Release Date" on the launcher page to ensure you always have the latest version. :)

Smartass

• Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:04:33 AM »
Nice, I like this. Can you make it to where the next update will show which bots are ops?

Tagban

• Aces Charles.. Aces.
  • Administrator
  • Addict
    • BNET.cc
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »
Thats exactly what I'm working on right now with Warrior. Hes helping me get used to this language. But yes, the next update will show ops, and probably going to try to shuffle them to the top. I still want to adjust the userlist images a little bit, I think the background is a little too dark to read the names clearly, but what do you think?

I also am contemplating turning off the code that hides @ symbols in the userlist. Because I have a friend that has @CooL@ and it doesn't show his name at all. The idea was to keep the list clean looking, but it also makes it hard if you want to reach out to that person and don't remember that they're on another realm.

Smartass

• Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »
Thats exactly what I'm working on right now with Warrior. Hes helping me get used to this language. But yes, the next update will show ops, and probably going to try to shuffle them to the top. I still want to adjust the userlist images a little bit, I think the background is a little too dark to read the names clearly, but what do you think?

I also am contemplating turning off the code that hides @ symbols in the userlist. Because I have a friend that has @CooL@ and it doesn't show his name at all. The idea was to keep the list clean looking, but it also makes it hard if you want to reach out to that person and don't remember that they're on another realm.
I agree the color of the background does make the names a little hard to read at some times. Why not just change the default color to something other than what it is now and then give other users the option to change the entire color scheme? Seeing as to how there are users who like dark themes with light text or light themes with dark text. I, personally, like a dark background with a lighter text color.

Really like how smooth this is/runs and how clean the GUI looks, keep up the good work. If you need a tester or someone to offer up ideas, let me know.

ɥǝnяʎ ıן

• Super Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »

+1, keep schwinn exiled, j/k good luck tagban
[09:39:13 PM] «[].[].[].[].@USEast» Do you know what the best letters of the alphabet are?
[09:39:21 PM] «DeCi@USEast» h e n r y

Smartass

• Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
TB, think you can fix the conversation window to where when you scroll up to read a recent conversation it doesn't drag you back down to the bottom when someone says something at that exact moment when you're reading in your next release?

ArqtekVet

• Addict
  • Oh life, When are you truly there?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »
How about also, you allow users to add their own backgrounds. making it more customizable. That would be good too.

ArqtekVet

• Addict
  • Oh life, When are you truly there?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »
Oh i found a bug. But I don't know how to upload a picture to Google code. So here it is.

w.K.

• Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
Oh i found a bug. But I don't know how to upload a picture to Google code. So here it is.

Scroll up, bro. :D

HackeZ

• Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »

I think his idea behind doing that was incase future namespaces are added into the mix, just create a handler for unsolved namespaces and remove the current namespaces we have until a better method is in place, take note his method would have been the superior choice of methods if illies wernt in the mix.

Tagban

• Aces Charles.. Aces.
  • Administrator
  • Addict
    • BNET.cc
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Each release of the bot will currently be released directly thru BNET.cc's page ( http://www.bnet.cc/superiority/ )  The bot itself is in a state of constant Beta (like Gmail used to be!).

I wanted to ensure that you all understood, I cannot take credit for code prior to Beta 6. Beta 5 was Warrior's baby, and hes still going to work on it with me a little, but he handed the project over to me. So I have adjusted some of the things I used to not like about it, very MINOR things, but things that I feel enhance the overall feel of the bot.

As for the issues discussed here, I have created issues on google code for you that have made them known. Its not really a problem though, 2 of the 3 things I was already working on. :)

As for the questions:
1) Can we change backgrounds/colors?
-- I like this idea, and I will look into it. If not, I might just add a few color palettes to choose from instead.
2) Issues with @ names.
-- Already aware of it: http://code.google.com/p/superioritybot/issues/list Its by design honestly, just might have to tweak the code so it only ignores things like @Azeroth @useast, etc. Currently it ignores everything after an @ symbol, including the symbol itself.
3) Other Color Issues..
-- My biggest complaint right now, is that I want to tweak the username icons so they're a little lighter background. This will make the names easier to read.
4) Moderators/etc.
-- I am going to be working on this whenever I can. I want to add moderation icons, but the bot in its current state doesn't store battle.net flags for users when they come in. It probably isn't hard, but as I said, I'm learning as I go, so it may take longer.

As always, feel free to post further bugs:
http://code.google.com/p/superioritybot/
or
http://www.bnet.cc/

I will also ensure that everytime a release comes out, its posted on: http://www.bnet.cc/superiority/  and the date on that page will be updated (So you know it was just released!)

Something I'm pondering is also a 'checkversion' system, but I'm not sure if that makes a ton of sense right this second or not. On "Invigoration", I had it check a document on my website for version #'s, and if it was off, it would popup and let you know an update was availible. Because Superiority uses Silverlight and connects to BNET.cc anyway, that may be easier now.

Thanks for everyone's support! Keep botting!

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
From an architectural standpoint I'll try to clear some things up:

1) The @ filtering is a bug, and I'll commit the code to fix it later today.
2) I'm going to start work on changing how some of the Bots structure is laid out, which should allow me to surface some Flags to the BnetUser object, which will let you do your thing with moderator icons.
3) I'm going to implement a CollectionViewSource on the UserList to allow you to do custom filtering and ordering..which will let you order the icons (or anything else) however you want.
4) The AccentColor isn't pervasive in the UI, if it could be made to be more so, you could conceivably implement a trivial UI for editing that (among other) brush values.
5) Re: Userlist UI. Since it seems to be the biggest source of contention, I am working on designing an entirely new solution. If it works in practice, I'll push it upstream.

These are rather low hanging fruit though. The Bot still has a lot of issues, especially around networking, that I'd love to address, and in fact I've started plugging away at already. Hopefully it makes disconnect/reconnects much more visible to the user.

Edit:

Using a new font. Seems crisper to me. Going to mess around with various smoothness factors to see if I can improve on it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:25:20 PM by warrior »
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

Some preliminary restructuring I'm doing of the UI. Accounts are now sublinks below the chatting view. Makes it faster to swap between them. overview now aggregates all the bot notifications

Also, you can see the new font. much crisper.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

Scope

• Founder
  • Main Administrator
    • BnetWeb
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
Looks great gentlemen. Keep up the good work! Also warrior since I've seen you shine new light on this project, let me bring up the possibility of a silverlight frontend for WebBot (remember I designed it so each WebBot can be parsed via XML). Just throwing that out there. Again, great job so far Tagban and warrior.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »

More progress. Still, disregard the UserList it's changing completely.

Scope: I can put it on the radar, but I'd have to think about where it would make sense within Superiority again.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »
Cleaned up a lot of the core architecture, removed another dependency. Refactored almost everything. I got made a lot of progress on the new networking subsystem. Cut a ton of old code that wasn't really in use anymore, which should make the Bot easier to maintain in the future. I also started tidying up the UI. I'll have more progress on that front tomorrow..for now:

Entire bottom half of settings is being redone tomorrow, but getting it to even render the new submenu system is an achievement given how old that code was.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »
Got more work done today on the UI front:

Settings UI:

Overview UI:

Both works in progress.

Smartass

• Addict
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »
Very nice looking warrior. I like the clean look and organization of it. Keep at it, bud!

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »
Reached an important milestone. All the new code I wrote is now working together with each other and I can finally start seeing some of the advantages of my new design. The new networking code is ultra fast and scalable.

Really now all that's left is to polish the new UI bits and connect it to the backend services.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
More fit and finish getting done today:

Implementing various missing UI pieces, getting a UserList UI story together, and overall making the new code more stable.

Here's me working on the UserList:

And here's how it looks in practice (so far):

Inching closer towards a release.

Crisis

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »
why is it on the left?

Smartass

• Addict
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
why is it on the left?
Switching it up, maybe? Every other bot is on the right when it doesn't necessarily have to be.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
I just put it on the left because I wanted to. So why not?

Crisis

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »
i don't know much about ui design as much as you do, but i think it'll be a little off-putting if the scroll bar is right in the middle, between the userlist and the channel. also, people don't look at the userlist as much as they look at the channel, and since all of the text is left-aligned, we generally look towards the left, making it awkward because i expect the channel to be there instead of the userlist.

newBalance by DzinerStudio