• October 19, 2021, 08:35:08 am

Author Topic: National Hiring Day  (Read 11165 times)

Scope

• Founder
  • Main Administrator
    • BnetWeb
National Hiring Day
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:42 am »
Yesterday, McDonalds hired ~50,000 new employees (part/full time) to work at McDonalds nationwide (most on the spot). It's goal was to help restaurants stay open 24 hours a day, and lend a helping hand to the economy. What's your opinion. Is this a good idea, or do you think this is temporary as many employees may be laid off/quit? I think it helped, Driving to class I saw the parking lot was full at my McDonalds at 9:30 AM, made me come home and see what all teh fuss was about. Whats your input

Source: http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2011/apr/20/tdbiz01-mcdonalds-hiring-day-draws-crowds-high-hop-ar-983844/

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

steve

• .·´¯`4:20´¯`·.
Re: National Hiring Day
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:59 pm »
I wish i had known about this, i'm quite desperate for a job at the moment, and there's a McDonalds within walking distance of my house (Bout 1.5 - 2 miles, i'd do it if it meant i was making money) FUCK FUCK FUCK. But i think it's a pretty good idea, we need more employment in the USA.

<3

Jen

• Pro Ninja
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:59:55 pm »
mcdonalds always seems busy, (at least here they do,) so I doubt they will get laid off.

Skye~

• Addict
  • MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:52:25 pm »
I got hired there yesterday..
We live on front porches and swing life away,
We get by just fine here on minimum wage
If love is a labor I'll slave till the end,
I won't cross these streets until you hold my hand

Myst

• BotMaster
  • Clan Null - Op 0x00
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:49:00 pm »
these are the noob jobs, the bigger private companies need to start opening up again and the state/fed jobs need to fix their budgets so we can get more jobs that turn into careers.

steve

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:28 pm »
Yeah i just need any temporary job at the moment so i can pay off my fines and get my licence back, my trucks waitin' for me so once i get that back I've got my eyes on better jobs and the local community college. Just sucks having a suspended licence.

<3

Myst

• BotMaster
  • Clan Null - Op 0x00
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »
be a better human and stop doing stupid shit and getting caught

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 05:49:32 pm »
Temporary employment is still better than no employment.  To be honest, I don't see an economic downside.  Kudos to McDonalds.

track

• Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »
While getting hired at McDonalds is a job it should only be a job if your in like high school or young....you shouldnt work at McDonalds all your life if your expecting more. At least don't write it in your resume when your job searching because I know some interviewers who actually look down upon previous jobs that are not really jobs.

Colby

• Super Moderator
  • SaNNy
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »
Hey man a job is a job.
This post has been thanked 3 times bolts, Jusτị¢e, ¯\_(O.O)_/¯

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:08 am »
While getting hired at McDonalds is a job it should only be a job if your in like high school or young....you shouldnt work at McDonalds all your life if your expecting more. At least don't write it in your resume when your job searching because I know some interviewers who actually look down upon previous jobs that are not really jobs.

Again: temporary employment is better than no employment.

...and if you're working at McDonald's, you probably don't have a resume.

steve

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »
Anybody can construct a resume.

<3

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »
That's like saying anybody can construct a photo album.  Yeah, you can take a bunch of pictures and put them into a book, but does it really mean anything?

EKLIPz

• E-Kreationz
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 07:14:15 pm »
Not ANYBODY can make a resume. What's in a resume of a first time employee? Education? No point in making a resume if you don't have previous employment or job related skills/training.
"The only place that success comes before work is inside the dictionary"

Colby

• Super Moderator
  • SaNNy
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »
Not ANYBODY can make a resume. What's in a resume of a first time employee? Education? No point in making a resume if you don't have previous employment or job related skills/training.

Most places require a resume... For a first time you put things like your education, any volunteer work (maybe you worked in your schools store), mention if you are on student council, list the classes you are taking, any achievements (honor roll, principals list, band awards or w/e. Its gona be a shitty resume but its better then nothing.

Also if you say took care of someones yard put that shit down, landscaping, or baby sitting even if its your own fucking brother =p

EDIT
hobbies, put that shit in there. NO not playing starcraft, put shit down saying you like to run, ride your bike, swim, snowboard, anything athletic or creative, however i wouldn't put down skating most people have a bad image of skaters =[

Something like this:

I am a quick and attentive learner and pick up new skills quickly. I have a professional manner and experience working with a variety of people in different settings.
I am athletic and enjoy snowboarding, playing rugby and biking. While my other interests include 3D Modeling, photography, computers and graphic design.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:24:38 pm by Colby »

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:13:32 pm »
^ veto.

edit: no employer is ever going to want to know your personal hobbies.  ever.  the rest of that belongs in a cover letter, not on your resume.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:11:49 pm by pikachu »

Skye~

• Addict
  • MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:44 pm »
I was hired, and I wasn't asked for a resume. I was just asked questions. but that's because it was at McDonnalds.
We live on front porches and swing life away,
We get by just fine here on minimum wage
If love is a labor I'll slave till the end,
I won't cross these streets until you hold my hand

Gloss

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 08:28:34 pm »
i didnt even hear about this. but it would have been nice to know before it actually happened for some people.

ɥǝnяʎ ıן

• Super Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 08:51:58 pm »
it was on the news all day
[09:39:13 PM] «[].[].[].[].@USEast» Do you know what the best letters of the alphabet are?
[09:39:21 PM] «DeCi@USEast» h e n r y

Gloss

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:06 pm »
oh i work all day. thats y

LeerRosh

• The Blader
  • Defeat is only defeat when you dont stand back up.
    • Leer Realm - Clan SCN
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »
Yeah i just need any temporary job at the moment so i can pay off my fines and get my licence back, my trucks waitin' for me so once i get that back I've got my eyes on better jobs and the local community college. Just sucks having a suspended licence.
Yeah McDonald's won't hire you.  They actually do a country-wide background check.  And the hiring day only happens once in a long while.

these are the noob jobs, the bigger private companies need to start opening up again and the state/fed jobs need to fix their budgets so we can get more jobs that turn into careers.
McDonald's is hardly a noob job.  They pay more than eight thousand dollars just to train their starting managers.  If you move up in McDonald's, it can be a career.  It might not be, but if you show management experience in a multi-million dollar corporation, then yes it is a good thing to throw on your resume, because you also get to add in the training that is certified training certificates.

mcdonalds always seems busy, (at least here they do,) so I doubt they will get laid off.
At 7.25 an hour, you would be surprised.  But more people quit or get fired for stupid shit rather than get laid off.
duh.
WINNING!

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »
McDonald's is hardly a noob job.  They pay more than eight thousand dollars just to train their starting managers.  If you move up in McDonald's, it can be a career.  It might not be, but if you show management experience in a multi-million dollar corporation, then yes it is a good thing to throw on your resume, because you also get to add in the training that is certified training certificates.

No to this whole paragraph.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:57 pm »
We dont just need jobs. We need well paying jobs. Temporary job agencies, fast food joints, and other minimum wage jobs, all they serve to do is reduce frictional unemployment, which is the time people spend lurching from job to job. So sure, it dents unemployment, but it is all smoke and mirrors.

It also continues a downward trend in wages, where people settle for less, and overall hurts the economy by putting people who are otherwise educated and able to work somewhere producing a grander economic bang for buck, into a shit job.

I'd much rather people take unemployment benefits vs take a job at McDonalds. I mean, dont get me wrong, if you're a teenager go for it. Educated, experienced people taking a $5-10 pay cut to just say they have a job? No way.
This post has been thanked 1 time pikachu
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »
Only question:

taking a $5-10 pay cut

...per hour?  I can imagine a job at McDonalds would be significantly more.

warrior

• Jesus Christ.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 01:16:13 am »
Depends, middle class is pretty vast. 20ish thousad to 100 thousand a year. I dont' know how much McDonalds pays, but I'd imagine something close to minimum wage which in my state is 7.25.

Though, I suppose given that most McDonalds jobs are PT, the wage gap is widened even further by the loss of income due to less amount of work being available. Its a really terrible story.

All because we as a nation refuse to spend money on a coherent jobs program. We need one, big, FDR style works program which basically says "Anyone who wants a job, can have a job" and put them doing infrastructure / restoration work nation wide. That way we build roads, bridges, modernize and make ecofriendly every Government facility, school, etc. in the country.

The economic jolt would be immense. But eh, we're a country full of idiots worried about a mysterious deficit fairy who doesn't even exist.
In capitalist America, bank robs you.

Choosing to code in an unmanaged language/platform is like choosing a hotel where you have to clean your own room.

When C++ is your hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb

newBalance by DzinerStudio