• July 05, 2022, 05:34:29 am

Author Topic: Prayers for these people.  (Read 4537 times)

Industrial

• Semi-Newbie
Prayers for these people.
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:42:54 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

-> Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan. <- As seen on the www.Google.com Homepage. Please have prayers for these people that all will go well.
This post has been thanked 1 time Anti-Liberal

DavidK

• Death from Above
Re: Prayers for these people.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:46:27 am »
This sort of stuff shouldn't be posted on a trolling board.
This post has been thanked 1 time Cool Story Bro

"...fast forward to the end, fast forward to the end, cause i'm the hero in this movie..." - Pastor Shepherd

Industrial

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:49:19 am »
What do you mean?

ɥǝnяʎ ıן

• Super Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:53 am »
he's trying to say that people don't care about this sort of stuff
[09:39:13 PM] «[].[].[].[].@USEast» Do you know what the best letters of the alphabet are?
[09:39:21 PM] «DeCi@USEast» h e n r y

steve

• .·´¯`4:20´¯`·.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:07 am »
Prayers will more than likely do nothing, but i wish them the best, because honestly that is fucked up and depressing. On a lighter note... JAPAN HAS BEEN HUMBLED BY MOTHER NATURE ALMIGHTY!
This post has been thanked 1 time Nico

<3

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »
Steve, how is that a lighter note? lol.

But yeah I'm gonna have to agree: praying is a waste of time.  If you want to actually do something, then go help.  If God gave a shit about what you think or what you want--or what anybody thought or wanted--he probably wouldn't have just allowed an 8.9 quake to rip the Pacific apart.  If God was real, that is.

This is the Serious board.

Gloss

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »
post about the topic or dont post at all troll.
yea this shit sucks Hawaii is guna get owne too i heard

ɥǝnяʎ ıן

• Super Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »
it's heading straight for hawaii, of course hawaii will be raped
[09:39:13 PM] «[].[].[].[].@USEast» Do you know what the best letters of the alphabet are?
[09:39:21 PM] «DeCi@USEast» h e n r y

Vault

• 卐 Dämonisch 卐
  • "When I see your smile Tears run down my face"
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »
Humph, everyone on here are just trolls and just be dicks about this :(
This truly has made my heart sink, it is so depressing.. lets hope not to much damage is done.

New Zealand: damn.. those poor fuckers have been through alot now a Waveee warning? what the fuck.

Loud

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:49:05 am »
What trolling are you even referring too? Just because a person claimed something happened, doesn't mean it has...

And praying to god wouldn't help these people. Clearly, since they don't believe in (your) god, your prayers aren't anything to them. If you want to help, endorse buddhism. Or send money. Or get on a plane and do work. But don't sit here and bitch about trolls.
Get money.
Rock ice.
Fuck hoes.

Myst

• BotMaster
  • Clan Null - Op 0x00
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:35:01 am »
bnetwebers: don't be douches, real people actually died.  grow up, you're all old enough to be mature about things.  Who gives a fuck about the topic name... it was merely a connotation of one members way of showcasing his feeling towards a tragic current event, or more likely, a figure of speech of ones feelings for the main context of this thread.
No need to click reply and argue about religion.  Make another thread for that..

Anti-Liberal

• Enthusiast
  • Anime Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 02:02:45 am »
I'd like to thank Myst, Bryan (Industrial) and David (Vault) in this thread for their sympathy and touch of realism in this dire and devastating situation; however, the rest of the posts in this thread are just beyond counter-intuitive and grotesque.

Japan has witnessed the most powerful earthquake (Richter scale measurement has been upgraded from 8.9 to 9.1) ever since that country started to take records; and most of Northeast Japan have been experiencing an ample amount of aftershocks to the tune of more than 50 with the magnitude being recorded between 6-7. That region will most likely see aftershocks linger for weeks and possibly even months. Four million citizens in Tokyo are currently living without power; and the subway and airplane systems have been shut down there.

To make matters even worse, this situation is still unfolding to this very second. The number of fatalities to the disaster will most likely exceed 1,000 or be in the thousands as the damage surveys come in during the following weeks. To top it off, one of the cities will possibly see a nuclear meltdown of a power plant.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-nuclear-us-analysis-idUSTRE72B04C20110312

Moreover, where I live in NYC where there is a pronounced Japanese population, some Japanese-Americans have been unable to contact their relatives in Japan to check on their well-being.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42030503

Update: Situation is becoming more frightening and dangerous. As of 4 AM EST, the walls of a nuclear power station at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant has collapsed after an explosion. As a result, there has been an evacuation for citizens within 10 kilometers of that plant site to avoid exposure to harmful radiation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_JAPAN_EARTHQUAKE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-12-03-29-13
This post has been thanked 1 time Crisis
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:44:03 am by Anti-Liberal »

Horse

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 05:14:42 am »

Update: Situation is becoming more frightening and dangerous. As of 4 AM EST, the walls of a nuclear power station at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant has collapsed after an explosion. As a result, there has been an evacuation for citizens within 10 kilometers of that plant site to avoid exposure to harmful radiation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_JAPAN_EARTHQUAKE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-12-03-29-13

the evacuation has been changed to 25km

they say the worst case scenario would make Honshu, the main island of japan where tokyo is, would be covered in radiation of doses high enough to kill people

Anti-Liberal

• Enthusiast
  • Anime Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 05:35:46 am »
Yeah, I just saw the updated evacuation information on my local Korean TV channel. =[

Do you have the link to the worse-case scenario theory? As long as the external container structure housing the nuclear plant remains intact, the radiation leak's effects should be minimal. In addition, I don't think the radiation would be high enough to kill citizens. I heard that the radiation level is measured to be at 10 sieverts; the radiation level needs to be over 30 sieverts to cause death. However, 10 sieverts is enough to cause major illness such as severe leukopenia, high fever, shock and electrolyte disturbances.

Horse

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 05:42:04 am »
Yeah, I just saw the updated evacuation information on my local Korean TV channel. =[

Do you have the link to the worse-case scenario theory? As long as the external container structure housing the nuclear plant remains intact, the radiation leak's effects should be minimal. In addition, I don't think the radiation would be high enough to kill citizens. I heard that the radiation level is measured to be at 10 sieverts; the radiation level needs to be over 30 sieverts to cause death. However, 10 sieverts is enough to cause major illness such as severe leukopenia, high fever, shock and electrolyte disturbances.

the worst case scenario is a total meltdown, similar to Chernobyl in the Ukraine

Anti-Liberal

• Enthusiast
  • Anime Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 06:06:04 am »
I am not seeing the similarity to Chernobyl here; if anything, this is almost equivalent to what happened at Three Mile Island. During the Chernobyl incident, there was a design flaw with the nuclear fission processes in the plant where a positive alpha-t was implemented. However, most modern nuclear plants including the ones near Sendai have negative alpha-t processes; so an incident like Chernobyl is very unlikely. Also, there were no containment structures in Chernobyl.

Reuters just reported this:

Communications director at the World Nuclear Association, Ian Hore-Lacy, says he believes the blast at the power plant was due to hydrogen igniting, and that it may not necessarily have caused radiation leakage, and adds that if the hydrogen has ignited, then it is gone, and doesn't pose any further threat.

BBC has reported:

BBC environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says local officials believe the release of radiation following the nuclear plant explosion is likely to be small. He adds that nuclear incidents aren't always as serious as they may sound or appear, and actually, in terms of loss of life and destruction, accidents at hydroelectric plants are far more dangerous.

Horse

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 06:15:16 am »
it's all hypothetical, i hope you are right and i am wrong lol

we won't know what happens until it happens

pikachu

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »
What trolling are you even referring too? Just because a person claimed something happened, doesn't mean it has...

And praying to god wouldn't help these people. Clearly, since they don't believe in (your) god, your prayers aren't anything to them. If you want to help, endorse buddhism. Or send money. Or get on a plane and do work. But don't sit here and bitch about trolls.

For the record, there are more Japanese people that don't believe in a God than those who do.

Even more off topic: James, is that papyrus in your signature? lol.

Anti-Liberal

• Enthusiast
  • Anime Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »
Even more off topic: James, is that papyrus in your signature? lol.

If you are referring to the papyrus-styled text font, then yes. =P

Back on topic, even though a partial meltdown has occurred at one of the nuclear reactor sites, radiation leakage to the atmosphere has been minimal. To help preclude the other reactors from losing their cooling ability, Japanese engineers have injected sea water into the cores. So, things appear to be stabilized as of now.

Loud

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
RIP Japanese people who were unlucky enough to be affected by this natural disaster. And lol@the high & mighty bnetwebbers. You know who you are & what you're doing. I do too.
Get money.
Rock ice.
Fuck hoes.

Nico

• A Canadian Guy... eh?
  • Graphics Staff
  • "Bullshit, it's bad for ya" - George Carlin.
    • Xrift@DA
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 01:03:53 am »
I heard the nuclear plants were turned off right away, smart move.
Hawaii got hit with 3-6ft tidal waves i heard, so it's not that bad... parts of the west coast got hit with maybe 2-3ft waves which are nothing.

But look at where Japan is, in geometrical terms.... hell look where Most of California and parts of B.C ( the province i live in ) are on top of...
--Newest Tag--

Horse

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »
Nuclear situation is getting worse.

Fire at a fourth reactor, and radiation levels  at level that can effect human health

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/14/japan.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Anti-Liberal

• Enthusiast
  • Anime Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 03:44:29 am »
Nuclear situation is getting worse.

Fire at a fourth reactor, and radiation levels  at level that can effect human health

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/14/japan.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

This calamity has intensified at a grim rate at the Fukushima-Daiichi power plants. Reactor #2 in that plant site has been spewing out a dangerous elemental mix of uranium and Caesium-137. I wouldn't be surprised if the core in that reactor fully underwent a total meltdown due to that reactor losing the ability to sufficiently vent out the overwhelming pressure taking place inside the core. Radiation of up to 400 millisieverts have been observed near that site; although, it's only 40% of the amount (1 sievert) that would start to induce some kind of nausea and vomiting in people.

The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami has now risen to 2,500, with more than 17,000 missing. =[

On some positive notes, with some aid from US rescue crews, the fire in Reactor #4 has been extinguished. Also, the outer containment wall above the base of the suppression pool hasn't been breached for the most part. Furthermore, with the added benefit of having the dominant prevailing winds flowing from West to East across most of Japan, any radiation would escape and dissipate harmlessly out to sea for the next 5 days at least. Thus, according to the NHK World TV channel, only between 0.8 to 2 microsieverts of radiation has been observed at Tokyo and the nearby northern suburbs. Again, I don't believe this will be another Chernobyl-styled disaster; I think that some US media outlets are being a bit too sensationalist which has been conflicting with Kyodo News and other Japanese outlets.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:47:23 am by Anti-Liberal »

newBalance by DzinerStudio